Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Godzilla was a libertarian.

Blog writing has been a mildly pleasant experience, however I can't feel too good about endorsing assigned writing topics. It's just something I've never particularly enjoyed. However, there were a few topics that I was able to convert into something I was thinking about lately. I enjoyed the song analysis, sentence style, cool writings, and the power of the image blog posts. These all had very open topics. I did not enjoy the ones with specific writing instruction, like finding to persuasive websites, the initially unacceptable claim, and this blog reflection. I felt restricted, unoriginal, and commenting was painful because everyone's post looked almost exactly the same.

Mandatory commenting: understandably necessary in a classroom setting, but the product ends up forced, insincere, and useless to the author. If there was a specific post that I enjoyed, I commented on meaningfully without first thinking, "ok, now only one left."

Despite my annoyances, the format itself is 1000 times more useful to me than a traditional assignment. I like people to read what I write.

4 comments:

  1. I have to agree about assigned writing topics. I find it much more fulfilling to come up with not only the argument on your own, but also the question and topic. To me, I just feel more connected to the assignment and actually enjoy doing it rather than just feeling like I am checking off boxes on a tax form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. true that. there were some that i actually put a lot of thought and energy into because it was something i could internalize. Just writing because it was assigned did little. but since the other classes were all just writing because it was assigned this is tons better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand about the commenting thing. I don't think that there wasn't a time after I made a comment that "Ok, only left to do." A lot of the time I didn't like the commenting. Occasionally it was helpful but a lot of the time it wasn't. People just tended to repeat what everyone else wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like assigned topics because it forces me to write, and in the process I generally learn something as I go.

    ReplyDelete