Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Title exploitation time - "Starman" by David Bowie. Listen to it. Do it now.

I did enjoy the blogging that we had to do, even if only to fulfill my craving to feel at least somewhat productive sometimes. I'm a sucker for instant gratification, and along with fast food and Mine Sweeper, blogging provides just that: work that doesn't come with ridiculous length requirements or too much brain straining. Even so, I often found myself to be better off having written and read blogs on this website than not - like Mikhaela said, the post about the outline in particular was very useful. I probably wouldn't have spent so much thought on it (or perhaps more truthfully, even bothered with it) if left to my own devices, which most likely would have come back to haunt me. The commenting aspect of this experience was an interesting touch, but in my opinion, was just a tad lacking. On one hand, it served to really connect me with the rest of the class - I was more conscientious of my content (hopefully, none of my opinions or little sparks of insight seemed drab or laughable)than if I didn't have to worry about someone calling me out on my potential lameness. That said, the sheer lack of "calling out" proved to be slightly more disappointing than one would imagine. Comments in general generally turn out as genial agreements more often than they do actual criticism (yes, I'm guilty of this as well), and that's based on the assumption that one even gets any. Sometimes posts go without any comments, essentially depriving the writer of possible thoughts or criticism of his or her work. Overall however, my experience with the class blog has been a positive one. I enjoyed working with you all through it. (And as for my highly irrelevant title - I already know he was calling himself "Ziggy Stardust" at the time. How dare you try to correct me, future corrector. How dare.)

5 comments:

  1. I think that's going to be my new nickname. Future Corrector.

    I love making irrelevant titles, especially because we are all writing about the same thing. It's a hook (and it worked well.)

    I agree to the part about the comment experience.

    .....

    [Useful thought-provoking comment: but what is the alternative to mandatory comments. Is there a better way to encourage useful commenting?]

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with jake. mandatory comments are annoying but voluntary comments means no comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake - I knew it! I knew someone was going to bring that up! My Bowie-senses were tingling, haha. I'm glad you agree about the comments, but there really doesn't seem to be a viable solution. The only thing I can think of is giving more points for more helpful comments, but that would just be terrible and annoying!

    Troy - There really doesn't seem to be any way around it haha. I guess I'm just asking for too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha exactly. I think a lot of the problems are just general problems with a college English class.

    ReplyDelete