Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I like Jenni's title.

The website I choose to analyze is found here.

The title of the website is Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids. I found it by typing, "campaign against smoking," on google and it was the first link that popped up. Before I clicked on it, I thought that it would be a website tailored towards children, with bright colors, large writing, and lots of cartoon pictures. However, I was wrong. Instead it is a very business looking website with a professional layout and pictures that are very real. I realized that this website it geared toward the smoking parents of children--not the children themselves. And the more professional you get the website to look, the more authority you seem to have. The home page of the website provides a link to several news stories and reports about current events that have to do with smoking/tobacco/experiments/their effects.
Some tools that make it particularly persuasive, other than the organization and clear cut arguments, are the pictures. A lot of the pictures are of children with sad or gloomy faces, and you get the impression they are suffering. Also the side bar has a list of links that support their argument, such as "federal initiatives," "state initiatives," "internation center," "research and facts," "press office," and "special gallery."

P.S. I really like that the texting website starts with a little video, that is pretty funny. It automatically engages the reader? website browser?

4 comments:

  1. I hate it when titles are misleading. It can ruin the rest of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on your analysis! I liked your comment about how the professional look gives the source more authority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sites like this have an easy time with logos, since their arguments are mainly just reminders or reinforcements of things people already know and agree with.

    ReplyDelete