Tuesday, March 30, 2010

On the Web

Well the first thing you notice when you enter a site is it's appearance. The site should look easy to use and have nice graphics, but nothing too overwhelming. For example the virtual reality site had some text that was hard to read because of how it blended in with the background. This is frustrating and somewhat of a distraction so I think it may not appeal to people. Also on that website there was a video that was cut off. Maybe it was just a problem that the group couldn't fix, but nonetheless it is distracting. Also the website about weight had problems with the text and pictures overlapping which is not a positive thing. The site should be interesting, yet also look proper as appropriate.
The social networking site did pretty well with this. I thought the use of so many links was a little too much. I think it was cool to have the link to the Universe article about spring break on that site. Also just simple things like the text and making sure there are no grammatical mistakes would help the sites be persuasive. I think it is a good thing that some of the sites put search boxes in. I'm not sure how often people would use them, but they are nice to have just in case.

The site I chose was one about quitting smoking. I think that it looks appealing and draws you in just from the cheerful homepage. It is easy to use and has lots of helpful links and such. I think it is persuasive in its use of short and powerful testimonials. At the bottom of each page there is a different person with just a one line phrase that is uplifting. I think this makes it more personal which is persuasive.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same problem with the virtual reality. The background made it look very...unprofessional and you also couldn't read the words at points or you had to strain to read it. Your site seems really good. I like the look of it, it gets your attention. The people at the bottom add pathos just because those who are trying to quit can get encouragement or motivation from those pictures and their quotes. I also like how it's interactive with the different quizes.

    ReplyDelete