Monday, March 15, 2010

Outline

Well, I still haven't read all of my sources yet, so this outline is going to be really sketchy... I'll do my best

-Introduction:
-Opener: The practices of midwifery have fluctuated throughout the years, growing in and out of popularity. Why has this occurred?
-Thesis: How myths of midwifery have developed child birthing protocol in hospitals that infringe upon women's/mother's rights.

-Brief history of midwifery and pinpointing when the change was made from homes to hospitals.
-Also, why: midwifery turned into a derogatory term and all of a sudden you had to be a trained professional to deliver babies.
-To be a trained professional you had to get an education.
-To get an education you have to be a man.

-Relate history to why it became popular to birth in hospitals instead of homes.
-How important that transition is.
-Instead of being hospitalized when there is something wrong, you are hospitalized when giving birth.
-What the implications of this are: giving birth is something wrong.

-Benefits of midwifery and childbirth:
-Special support.
-Special attention.
-Comfort: you heal faster in your own home.

-Non-benefits(for lack of a better word?) of hospitals and childbirth:
-Protocol:
-IV
-Forced medication that can be harmful.
-There are more that I don't feel like posting.
-Treated like a patient: not personalized.

-Briefly touch on the non-benefits of midwifery and childbirth.
-Briefly touch on the benefity of hospitals and childbirth.

-Talk more about how hospital protocal and being treated like a patient during childbirth effect the experience of childbirth. Discuss how it can infringe upon a mother's rights.

-Share stories and specific examples.
-I'm thinking about interviewing a midwife?
-I have book of a compilation of midwive's stories, maybe I'll use this here.

-Conclusion
-Discuss what should change in society concerning childbirth.

1 comment:

  1. I just commented but blogger wasn't working.
    I just said that I was going to try to implement counter-points within my arguments.

    ReplyDelete