Friday, January 8, 2010

The BYU community: Issues

The BYU community: Issues to be debated.
- Should BYU’s class schedules be changed so that students get a sufficient Spring Break? Should the schedule stay as it is, allowing the students to be in school year-round? I want a Spring Break!
- Should the Testing Center be expanded or relocated to a new building? As it is, the Testing Center is hot and stuffy with as many desks possible crammed into too small a space. I’m sorry, but I’d rather not get sick while taking a test just because the person behind me has Swine Flu and is breathing down my neck… literally.
- Please, more parking on BYU campus!!
- Is it just me, or is the Bookstore out to get students’ money? The Bookstore is a campus store, you would think they would remember that the people who shop there are poor. On the other hand, if it weren’t for the Church paying for students to have a more affordable tuition, I would not even be here… I cannot figure out if that makes me feel less bothered about the Bookstore’s expensive prices.

4 comments:

  1. I agree about the Bookstore. Many of us don't have cars to be able to go anywhere else if we need something, so we are stuck with those prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite sure the bookstore isn't out to get your money. If you want to place blame on expensive books, look to the inefficiencies of the textbook market. In a normal free market system, if something is too expensive, you don't buy it and it forces the seller to bring the price down. However, with textbooks, the buyers don't get to choose which book they use! A third party, your professors, choose a textbook and require us to buy it for the class. This allows the publishers to get away with making their books ridiculously expensive.

    I feel the best solution for this is to encourage professors to choose inexpensive textbooks. Currently, they aren't as concerned with price as they are quality because they don't actually make the purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any money that the bookstore makes is poured back into subsidizing your tuition. Also there are quite a few students who are not poor as you or me. Many have the means to easily pay for the bookstore prices and the excess of their money goes back into the school to help those of us who would otherwise have a hard time paying for college. So in a way you might consider the higher prices at the book store to be an advantageous thing. Although I do agree that I am not a fan of having to pay them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Their profits don't necessarily help subsidize YOUR tuition. They say that any net profits generated help fund other university facilities and programs. So your money might be going to expand a program that you aren't involved with.

    Also, when you are paying extra to make your tuition cheaper, doesn't it even out?

    Any profits made by the bookstore could be viewed as unethical, regardless of where the money goes. Some people pay more in textbooks depending on their major. I'm a music major; my textbooks this year cost me about $400. The national average is $900 a year. Is my education worth less?

    ReplyDelete