Friday, January 8, 2010

My Chipman 3200 Community

My fellow floor mates and I have become a close knit group of freshman here at BYU. Though we get along well, there are a few issues that don’t always agree on. Some of the girls follow the proverb “early to bed, early to rise…” almost religiously, but myself and others enjoy the nightlife here at BYU and the joys of sleeping in. This leads to a “circle of sleep,” some of us are awake, and some of us aren’t. This problem leads to resentment among some of the girls, it’s hard to be loving to your neighbor when they insist on playing Miley Cyrus at midnight, or if their alarm starts blaring at 6AM. Another debate is the level of volume of music that should be played. For example I like country music, however the girls next door basically hate it, and even when I try to play it quietly, it’s hard to enjoy it when they complain. The biggest problem right now on our floor is hair in the showers. It’s a nasty experience to stumble out of bed in the morning, looking forward to a nice hot shower, only to discover a glob of long dark hair on the tile walls while lathering up. This problem has been discussed multiple times at floor meetings, and everyone agrees it’s gross, but people still refuse to do something about it. Another issue is the effectiveness of cleaning checks. Many of my neighbors wonder if it is really necessary. Inspectors barely seem to look at your room as they give your trash can a check, your floors a glance, and your shelves a rub. For something that causes a great amount of stress for me and my roommates, they seem to not take our work into consideration. These are just a few small issues found on our floor community, but overall we get along well and have lots of fun!

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I love to have fun with my roommates and like to stay up late, but it is rough when people wake you up with loud, annoying music. I also do not care for some music that my roommates listen to, but only after giving it ample trial time do I say something. And the only real problem we have in our dorm is messy bathrooms and kitchens.

    ReplyDelete