Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A D- in Religion?

An issue I would like to address: religion classes at Brigham Young University. Though BYU is an LDS University, not all of its students are Latter-Day-Saints. As a religious school, it has every right to require religion classes. The issue lies with the grading system along with the difficulty of some of the religion classes. Not all religion teachers grade the same; many grade leniently and many grade harshly. However, it is not necessary to make religion classes have a point grading system. Rather, it would be more effective to have a pass-fail grading system. There are two types of classifications for religion teachers at BYU. A few have the attitude of wanting to enrich their students’ lives; they want their students to learn and strengthen testimonies. But many times BYU’s religion teachers feel they need to be competitive. With required religion classes being worth at least two credits, teachers feel they have to make their class strenuous and unrealistically challenging. Though the religion teachers claim that any non-LDS student has just as much chance to get an A in their class as a regular LDS student, this is certainly not always the case. Most other universities have their religion classes graded with a pass-fail system. I feel it would also be effective for BYU to grade their religion classes pass-fail. If some students want to study religion for their major, then it can be their choice to take higher level and more difficult religion classes worth graded credit. However, for the majority of BYU students in other majors, it would be more appropriate for a pass-fail system, when it comes to religion classes.

The audience I want to address is the students, the school faculty, and the school administration. I feel that there is strength in numbers, so the more people I can influence; the more likely I am to make a difference. As I am a student that is required to take the religion classes, just like all the other students at BYU, I feel I can relate to many in the BYU community. Different genres I could use would be a letter to the Daily Universe or a letter to the administration. Also, to seek the support of the student body I could use face-book to spread awareness on the situation and how to act upon it.

6 comments:

  1. Another point to consider about non-LDS students is that they do not have as much background with the scriptures (aside from maybe the Bible) and with LDS doctrine. Most students who go into religion classes already have some background with what is going on in the scriptures. So when the non-LDS students come into class they are already behind, especially in the religion classes where the teachers are more difficult.

    I like your idea of the pass/fail system and having higher level courses for those with a major in religion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I FULLY agree with you Lydia! I as well like the idea of pass or fail! I do understand the need to make the classes more than just like "High school Seminary" But the simple fact is that most BYU students spend to much time trying to avoid the many religion teachers who think there purpose is to see how intense they can make there class and forget about the need of the scripture... enlightenment (I have a hard time getting enlightened when I'm mad at the teacher... haha but thats just probably a personal problem)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you have to ask the question if non-LDS students would be any better at obtaining a pass grade then a normal grade? I guess that depends on how hard it is to get a pass. And if it is too easy then what is the point of even taking the class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's about time someone said something! I've taken some religion classes that have literally brought me to tears (and not because of I was feeling the Spirit). I do not think religion classes should be that traumatic, it really distracts from what the professor is trying to teach. It would be interesting to see how someone who is not LDS feels about our religion classes. Do a lot of them struggle with passing? If so, your pass/fail system is much better than our current one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Chelsea, I was going to add in that bit about not every BYU student having and LDS background but I forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, Troy and Jenni, I did think up a system for pass-fail. I forgot to mention it too. I feel that passing should be based on attendence and fulfilling the class requirements (like reading material). If you do it you pass, if you don't you fail. :)

    ReplyDelete