Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pride and Prejudice style

I love reading, as I am sure most girls are, Jane Austen novels. I love the descriptions and language she uses. Her sentences are never phrased in a boring or regular way; they have character themselves. One of her books that I particularly love is Pride and Prejudice, and no matter how good the movie is it will never replace what I feel when reading the story. Austen sets the story from line one by giving little insights into the minds of the characters. She phrases her sentences from the beginning in exactly the same manner in which a given character in her story would. An example would be: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, that he is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters"(Austen). This, in my opinion,is a great example exactly what Mrs. Bennett is thinking throughout the novel. This idea is carried onto every page. It is used openly in the book. It is good writing, because it entices you to read more. You really care about the characters, because they are so well developed, you can relate to them and they are present in every aspect of the writing.

3 comments:

  1. I like that you can appreciate a classic book for its story and its intrinsically great writing style. Austen has a clear-cut and distinct writing style that is great, and I like how you pointed out her style perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Braden, I don't know who you are, but way to man up and admit a compliment to Jane Austen. I feel sorry for the people who refuse to read Jane Austen because they think it will be like reading a chick-flick. It's sooo much better than that, Austen's writing is just amazing. When I read Pride and Prejudice I felt like I was enjoying the beautiful English language she was using more than the storyline. Though, the storyline is also excellent :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be breaking some social norm for females but I didn't really like Jane Austin. I couldn't get into it. To me her language seemes too flowering and too complex. Maybe a better word is, too sophisticated. I don't know maybe I just don't have a good tast in literature.

    ReplyDelete