Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Small Town Fun

An issue that I might discuss would be the lack of recreational opportunities in some small towns. Growing up in a small town myself, I have seen the problems "having nothing better to do" can cause amoung youth in the community. Some towns have a Parks and Recreation department, which is a good start, but most of those end when children get to middle school. Once youth don't have an opportunity to enjoy themselves they look for something else to do. I'm not saying that it needs to be sports exactly, but some sort of activity organization. I believe this would also help bring communities together, both as youth and as adults.
My audience would be specifically city council members, as well as the community as a whole. By coming from a small town I would be able to relate to their thoughts more and have some of the same priorities. I could reach my audience by writing a letter to the editor, having posters, fundraisers (if necessary), and participating in city council meetings when the public is invited to do so.

6 comments:

  1. Robyn! thank you for addressing this! In my mission I served in a very small town and it was so sad to see the things the youth of the small branch i was in get sucked into because, according to the youth of the town, "there is nothing better to do"

    Another Genre you could do it organize a recreational organization in the community for the youth yourself and propose it to the city council to help fund it. thus showing a positive solution :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ty, this a great topic to address. One of the things that I think you could try to do would be to really appeal to the audience. Imagine a city council and think that a good number of them would have children, then not only speak about your experience but talk about how this issue will affect their own family. Combine that with some statistics to support your argument and this should be a really great argument. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say to try to appeal to the kids too and get the kids involved as well. If they are involved it will help them stay out of trouble maybe just a little bit and I think it will help the parents see the need and want of recreational activities more. If they see their kids really care about it then they might consider it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can relate to this. Though I didn't grow up in a small town, I've spent many summers at my grandmas in the middle of nowhere, Idaho. I also feel it's extremely important to have recreation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A comment I have to make about recreation: I am in a Family Recreation class right now, and they stress the importance of wholesome recreation. I think this would also be an important point for you to make. Not only should recreation be something to do with other people, maybe it could specifically be things like service or activities in which kids and people are having fun while accomplishing things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha. Ty served in my area and he knows all too well that people in MA, especially rural MA like where I live, does not have a lot to do, so people resort to "sinful activities" for fun. I understand and I too believe this is a big problem and I like how you are trying to go about changing it.

    ReplyDelete