Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Simply Human

When I was sophomore, I had the privilege to read a book that reached the top of my favorite books and has continued to stay there. It even influenced me to name my dog after the main character, Scout. This book taught me valuable lessons about mankind and the worth of any man’s life. As Atticus Finch said, “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view—until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” It taught me to think from other points of view. This and many important lessons were taught through Harper Lee’s words as she brought up the issues of prejudice and racism in To Kill a Mockingbird. This book taught me that no matter what color your skin is, you are still human and deserve the right to live. Harper Lee’s word’s also taught me the power one example can make. “It took an eight-year-old child to bring ‘em to their senses… that proves something- that a gang of wild animals can be stopped, simply because they’re still human. Hmp, maybe we need a police force of children.” Scout’s example stopped a mob from doing something they would most likely regret later. This book taught me that I can be that example. I can be the one to stand up for another, to cause a change, maybe even to save a life. Harper Lee made it seem simple to do what is right.

8 comments:

  1. That is a really good book and I love the messages in it too. I like the way you applied things from the story into our own lives and showed how we can learn and be better from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admitt that when I first read that book, I did not like it at all. I couldn't figure out what the message was behind it becuase all it seemed to me was a whole bunch of random stories about a girl and her family. It wasn't until I went back a really looked at it again did I finally apperciate this great book. The lessons it taught were very profound and moving. I love the part about Scouts brother (I can't remember his name) discovering that old lady who he had used to read to had just died. He had hated her so much but when he discovered that she had wanted to overcome her addiction to morphine before she died and succeed his whole view changed. I thought that was a very profound moment, at least it was for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. His name is Gem (pronounced Jim) and I had forgotten about that part, thanks for reminding me Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a good book and a great thing to write about for style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite books too. I think one of the reasons why is because you can read it at different points in your life and it means something different. I was a bit like Chelsea at first. I liked it but it was just a story, that's it. After reading it later on I began to see different messages. I think that the ability to write a story that appeals to so many people is a mark of a truly great book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Aaron.
    A couple other books that follow this mark/pattern (at least for me they do) are:

    The Giver
    The Messanger
    Ender's Game
    the Book of Mormon

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am like Chelsea the first and only time I read it I didn't like it. But it was probably because I can never seem to like any book that I am forced to read for my classes. So it sounds like I need to read it again so that I can have more appreciation for it.

    ReplyDelete