Friday, January 8, 2010

Issues in my Community

Honor code: I have heard many students complain about the Honor Code, calling it too restrictive. One thing that they fail to take into consideration is the mission and purpose of Brigham Young University. This university is not solely designed to pump out well-trained graduates; it has a higher purpose. Students at BYU are meant to be an example of the Church which sponsors this university and therefore are held to a higher standard.

Special treatment of athletes: Free clothes, private tutors for whatever class they choose, an X-Box fanatic's dream set up at a bowl game; it pays to be a collegiate level athlete. You have to wonder why athletes get so much special treatment when most of them will not play their sport after graduation.

Casual dress: I once read that a student was strongly opposed to casual dress (shorts, t-shirts, flip flops) on campus as it detracts from the learning environment. This attitude is rather juvenile as casual dress does not mean somebody is casual with their education.

Bookstore prices: Every student on campus has experienced the exorbitant prices at the Bookstore. Like me, I am sure most students feel very strongly that the policies and prices of the Bookstore are ridiculous and do not make much sense.

3 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that so many people have issues with the Honor Code. If you didn't want to live by it, why would you come here? I know that people think it is too restrictive, but shouldn't we all be living that way anyways? Joseph Smith was known to have said, when he was asked why Nauvoo was so successful, that he taught the people correct principles and let them govern themselves. In a perfect world, an Honor Code wouldn't be necessary. But until we learn to live the way we should on our own, the Honor Code is here to keep us in line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Jenni. Everyone comming to BYU knows what is expected of them. If that person has a problem with the honor code then go to a different school or realize that you should not have a problem with the honor code. For the special treatment of athletes I agree with having tutors. They work a lot and can be gone a lot so I think tutors would help a lot as long as they don't take advantage of it. I have somewhat of a problem with all the free stuff the athletes get, because they do get a lot. I think they could better use that money in a different area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that the Honor Code is a great thing. Yes it may feel like a lot of rules but just like the gospel, the rules give us freedom. I agree with Chelsie and Jenni in that if you chose to come to BYU, don't complain about the Honor Code because you knew what you were getting into. I also believe that athletes get a lot special privileges, but they have worked hard and given up their free time to practice and entertain others. And I feel that all the time and sleep they have given up for their sport is forgotten when you see all the free stuff.

    ReplyDelete