Monday, January 18, 2010

Catching Fire

The most recent novel that I have read is Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. It is the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy, a relatively new young adult series that I was introduced to in my Children’s Literature class last semester. I love this book because it is riveting. I have never been so enthralled by a piece of literature as I am with this book. Every chapter has a twist at the end and I would often find myself skipping to the end of the chapter just to see what happens. I literally could not put this book down. The book is about a future dystopia, in which the main characters inadvertently start a revolution that changes the fate of world. I enjoy this book because it contains the elements of many different genres of literature including romance, science fiction and suspense. One of my favorite parts of the book comes at the very end (don’t worry, this won’t ruin the ending for anyone), when Katniss, one of the main characters, realizes what she means to the revolution.
“’We had to save you because you’re the mockingjay, Katniss,” says Plutarch. “While you live, the revolution lives.” The bird, the pin, the song, the berries, the watch, the cracker, the dress that burst into flames. I am the mockingjay. The one that survived despite the Capitol’s plans. The symbol of the rebellion.” (Collins, p.386-387).

5 comments:

  1. I think I may need to find this book and read it. It really sounds like it is an interesting book. This is one of the genres that really appeal to me ("Utopian" type societies) because of the messages that they have and how they just draw me right in because of their symbolism, imagery and plot line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OoOoOoOoOoooh!! Catching fire! Jenni, I just finished Hunger Games and it was AMAZING! And I have Catching fire sitting on my dest in my apartment, waiting for me to read. I'm so excited but I heard I will hate the ending. When I'm finished with it (I'll probably end up reading the entire thing in one night), we will have to talk :) I really love that the author pulls off the story-line. Do you know what I mean? When I tell other people about the plot of Hunger Games they're shocked and disturbed. And I would be too, but the author has such a way of putting the plot together that you can't help but get excited for every twisted chapter. It isn't really as crazy as you think it would be, but it is super intense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron, I just finished this book. It's more dystopian than Utopian. I'd compare it to a lighter version of 1984 or Brave New World with some thriller elements. A simple, but very entertaining read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LYDIA! I'm so excited someone else loves this series too!!! And I totally agree with you, whenever I explain to people what I'm reading they look at me like I'm some sort of sick individual...but they just have to read it for themselves. What I love about this book is that it is just as good as the first, which is pretty rare. About the ending of Catching Fire, I don't think you'll hate it. For me, it was like when I finished Hunger Games, I just kept on thinking to myself, there is no way she can tie this up in the few pages that are left. And she doesn't. But I'm sure the third book will be really fantastic. And it comes out on my birthday (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I need to read this book. My mom was telling me about it awhile ago and I was a little disturbed but she said it was really good. Now I hear and see people reading it all the time.

    ReplyDelete