Monday, January 18, 2010

Ender's Game

One of my all time favorite books is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. His character development and plot line are deep and beautiful and elegant. As you watch these character's live out their lives, you begin to form an attachment to them. You find yourself caring about these people. You hurt when they are hurt, sad when they are sad, and you are constantly hoping that they will make it through and be all right. The only real way that I can explain the complexity of Ender's Games is to compare it to an onion. There is always another layer after you pull back one layer; always something for anyone to get out of the book. No matter who you are or where you come from, anyone can "get" something out of it. Learn something about themselves or others or how the world works. The thoughts and ideas that are represented in Ender's Game range from simple to complex, from deep to shallow, from philosphical to logical, and everywhere in between. In makes you think about life and your part in it. You are exposed to both extremes of the nature of mankind; the evil and the good and everywhere in between. For these very reasons it is hard to put the book down but at the same time you feel inclined to set it down for a while so that you can sort out your thoughts on what you just read.
In the end this book moves you in ways you never thought you could be moved (well at least it was that way for me).

"In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him. I think it's impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves." - Ender (Orson Scott Card)

13 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite books too. I haven't read it in a little while but I remember that when I did I literally could not put the book down. Card's writing left me feeling as if I was reading a historical account and not just science fiction. Great choice for a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part about Card's writing is the genuine feeling you get from his characters. I'm not as prone to like fiction for this reason; a feel a lot of characters fit into predictable, synthesized molds. I don't get that out of his characte's for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book. I literally read it in one long sitting cause I couldn't put it down. You really get wrapped up inside of it and once it is done you continue to think about it. Good choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orson Scott Card was what Mormon fiction ought to be. I love the way he seeds his books with LDS cosmology and ontology; not to preach, but because the ideas themselves are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say "was" because his more recent stuff is didactic and lame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. apparently this is a book a need to read. i have heard almost nothing about this book but it seems like something worth my time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with you Kevin about his other books. I havent read them but my brother and good friend have and both of them agree that everything after Ender's Game just isn't as good for some reason

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember reading this book in middle school, but I had a completely different reaction to it. I don't know if it was because I was forced to read it or what, but I really didn't like it. Maybe I should read it again to see if my perspective has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Chelsea's standpoint on this book. It really pulled alot of ideas, and synthesized alot preconceived notions together. It showed both extremes and how they both have draw backs. It also showed there was always something new to be learned and that there can never be complete comfort in most instances. Once you seem to make ends meet, someone moves the ends. It tried to pull everything from life and present it in a way that makes you feel for Ender. At one point or another everyone is Ender.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really loved this book. This and probably one of the books that actually got me to enjoy reading. Cards way of letting you feel very close to the characters is simply amazing! he also had a great way (IN ENDERS GAME NOT THE BOOKS FOLLOWING) of keeping it simple and concise in its most positive form. I read this book as a young kid and LOVED it and understood it. I recommended it to a older adult later in my life who really enjoyed it as well. So it wasn't to complex for a youth but it was deep enough for a adult. In my opinion great book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh and I agree.... his later books were not great! Well I can only speak for some of them, not all of them because after trying to read a few after Enders Game, and having no desire to read them after the first 60 pages. I lost hope in Orson Scott Card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In fairness to him, he did a lot more than just Ender's Game. I loved Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Pastwatch, The Worthing Saga, The Folk of the Fringe, The Changed Man, and a few others. But he's become cantankerous and political in his old age.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This look likes a book I need to read. My friends had to make a short movie from this book. The movie ended up being very confusing so I have never thought of reading it, but it sounds like I need to if so many different kinds of people like it.

    ReplyDelete