Friday, January 8, 2010

The Issues.

As a member of the BYU community, I face the following issues:

1. I really don't care what your major is, but we still have to talk about it.

2. The girl at the frozen yogurt shop has BYU guys trying to pick her up all the time, and is accordingly unfriendly to me.

3. Utah kids say "filled" when they mean "field", and "melk" when they mean "milk", and "heel" when they mean "hill." Oh, and "idiz" when they mean "ideas". It shouldn't bother me, but it does.

4. The Bookstore is pretty shady, I guess. Parking is pretty tight, too. On the other hand, famine, slavery, genocide, warlordism, etc. are pretty much non-issues on campus, so that's nice.

6 comments:

  1. 1) I agree
    2) I didnt know that
    3) Sadly I it bothers me too but I have to let it go becuase I was in speach therapy until I was in 4th grade and sometimes I still dont speak correctly. So I am sorry for being speach impaired.
    4)I love how there is virtually no swearing at all here. Back home at high school, you would probably here the f word about a hundred times in passing period. No beuno.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously I'm only theorizing about the frozen yogurt girl. I just get that vibe that she thinks if she makes eye-contact with me, there's going to be some attempted romantic transaction. As far as I know, I've never given her any reason for that apprehension; I just want to buy my frozen yogurt. But it would be nice if she was friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the terrible getting to know you questions! The one that I hate the most is asking people where they're from. And inevitably following that question you have a short geography lesson on their state following which you try to make some sort of connection with someone you once knew that was from the same state. Why is this the way ALL conversations start?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becuase we have nothing more creative to say. I am a personal favorite of "What color is your tooth brush?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to go on a date where all the personal details are made up on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am for it. I am a fan of those type of things. Great way to break the ice, get past the security bubbles.

    ReplyDelete