Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Most Dangerous Game

The piece of literature I chose is the short story "The Most Dangerous Game" by Richard Connell. I think this story is really great in a lot of ways. First of all I love the suspense and the signs of foreshadowing. Having reread it and knowing what to expect it was interesting to see where predictions could have been made. I think it really gets you thinking about people's value and brings the issue of hunting to a different perspective. I enjoy the author's detailed descriptions and the imagery that it portrays.
"'We will have some capital hunting, you and I,' said the general. 'I shall be most glad to have your society'" is interesting to read knowing what the outcome of the story is. I'm not sure, but I think the author maye have been using this to foreshadow or show the irony of the plot.
"For a moment the general did not reply; he was smiling his curious red-lipped smile. Then he said slowly, 'No. You are wrong, sir. The Cape buffalo is not the most dangerous big game.' He sipped his wine. 'Here in my preserve on this island,' he said in the same slow tone, 'I hunt more dangerous game.'" I like the moments like this in the story where you start imagining and predicting what is going to happen and there is such a mysterious setting. I love it when you can start to see what is happening and then watch as the main character starts to understand the situation. It is a disturbing story in some ways, but i think it is exciting, intense, and fun to read also.

7 comments:

  1. Your title reminded me of this delightful web-comic:

    http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1488#comic

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. jake i dont know if your comic quite captures the essence of the story but it was cool anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading this in school and it kinda haunted me. But I still loved it. And Jake your comic made me laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading that back in high school as a freshman, completely creeped my out. It didn't help that this was their way of introducing us to what they called "literature". Most of the things we read were creepy and always left my stomach upset and my head in bad places. But I do agree that his writing was profound. Even though it wsa creepy, it pulled you in and made you want to know how it ended. You wanted the end to turn out so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah it is true that some more dark literature seemed to be common for lots of highschool classes. I like how the reader can get so pulled into the story too; it defintiely is a unique story! I'm excited to check the comic out, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a universal human aspiration, to some day own a small island in the Caribbean and hunt one's fellow man for sport.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol Kevin... sometimes we need to keep things to ourselves, jk. but I remember reading this book, and the author did a great job at writing in a way that even if you thought the book or idea was creepy or wrong.... you still wanted to read it to see what happened.

    ReplyDelete