Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Climb.. don't judge me.

One of my favorite songs is "The Climb," by Miley Cyrus. Not only does it have a great message, but I wanted to analyze it because it is about a topic that many of us can relate to.

Writtin in first person, this song implements logos, ethos, and pathos simply through its topic. The song is about life: its ups and downs, its trials and consequences, and its rewards and finishing goals. It talks about experiences that are detailed enough for everyone to understand, and general enough for everyone to relate to. I a specifically potent rhetorical technique used in this song is its emotional appeal. With perserverance a main subject implied in the words it talks about faith, an uphill battle, chances, and struggles. All of these are not necessarily meant to be percieved literally, rather, they concern emotions.

At the end of the song the music becomes more climatic as it crescendos. Another important thing it does is shifts narrative points of view and directs the lyrics straight at the listener. Drawing its audience into the music, the lyrics read "It's all about the climb, keep the faith, keep your faith."



P.S. Yes, I love this song. Don't judge me for being a Miley Cyrus fan... haha :)

13 comments:

  1. Don't worry, I love this song too! :) It makes you want to keep trying even when their is a mountain in front of you, it gives you hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're so honest. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great song too! I was going to do it also until I saw that you had already. But it has a lot of meaning I think because it is telling us to keep going and we can all relate to it because no one's life is perfect. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I normally highly dislike Miley Cyrus but this is another one of my favorite songs. Whenever I feel like I am failing or everything is going wrong, I always feel better after listening to this song. It is one of those "feel good" songs. You can't help but feel better about yourself afterward (well at least it is that way for me)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the sumer I was actually climbing a 12,000 foot mountain. My muscles were aching and I was exhausted. This song kept playing in my head, the whole part of "ain't about how fast I get there, ain't about what waiting on the other side, it the climb". And in my state of frustration I thought "you lie Miley! its all about the top! I am not doing this to beat myself up trying to get up there!"
    But then again this is not a good example of what the songs actually is saying. And in real life it works. But after my experience I am not much of a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA HA HA HA HA! Oh, Troy, you just made my day: "you lie Miley!"
    Thanks for your input, I probably wouldn't be a fan of this song either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So over the summer I climbed a mountain as well. And opposite of Troy, I thoroughly enjoyed the climb. It was super hard and I was tired and my muscles ached like never before but it was the climb for me. Proving to myself that I could do it. Getting to the top was breathless and there were feelings with finishing that I could never fully explain. The intense relief that was felt has not words. But the literal climb was even more so. So this song means a lot to me in that way. Sorry Troy. I just have to disagree with you.
    "To each his own."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to add myself to the list of people actually like this song, without really liking Miley Cyrus. In my defense, I didn't know she sang it until my 15 year old sister-in-law forced me to watch the Hannah Montana movie with her. I was forced, I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too am another Miley Cyrus fan (sigh). But this song actually does have a really good message, one of hope and perserverence. I think we need more uplifting songs like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you all :) It is a fabulous song and it is worth listening over and over again on down days. And that, my friends, is the power of rhetoric.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the lyrics may be good on their own, but the singer is somewhat wanting. So I dislike both the singer and the song on those principals. I do agree however that the song evokes emotion and is influential to those who listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My only experience with Miley Cyrus was seeing the nude photo shoot on the cover of Vanity Fair in the checkout aisle, and thinking it was pretty amazing that that was legal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, thank you, Kevin, for your input.

    ReplyDelete