Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Does Parenting Really Matter?

Being in a parenting and child rearing class now we have really discused if parents matter or not. It made me think back to an article I read last semester in my Human Development class called Does Parenting Really Matter? written by Laura E. Berk. It is a good article because it startes off saying why people don't think parents matter. For those parents who have kids that just went off the deep in its a nice excuse for them becuase parents don't matter. But then it goes on telling of research done showing that parents do matter. She says, "The idea that in a long-standing relation such as one between parent and child, the child would be influencing the parent but the parent would not be influencing the child is absurd." Berk goes on telling of different researches proving that parents matter and it is not the same experiment over and over again but she gives different kinds of experiments. She sums up saying, "parenting effects combine in complex ways with many other factors, including heredity and peers." After she states that she gives the audience four recommendations to ensure the best outcomes for one's children. So I think she ends it well also, she gives all this proof for how parents matter and then says how to help.

2 comments:

  1. So why did the writing stand out to you? Did you like that she just laid out the facts in a way that anyone could understand and relate to her information? I mean, I love it when people are blunt and honest in their writing and think that honesty is one of the best ways to express pathos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I liked it because at first it really caught me off gaurd. I had never thought of if parents mattered or not. To me they are very important. But I liked her proof of why they matter and what parents do.

    ReplyDelete