Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Issue of Abortion

An issue that I think would be a good topic to address is abortion. This topic is one that is definitely of controversy and can be argued. Specifically I would like to take the stand that abortion is wrong unless the health of the mother is at stake or the conception was due to rape. I do not think that it is okay when it is the result of something the mother chose to do. For this issue I would direct it toward the audience of those who agree with the practice of abortion. One genre I would use would be the value of the individual. I realize that some would say that the mother has rights and use this against me, but I would like to focus on how the mother made a choice and that the child does not get a say when abortion is used. What about the infant's value? I think that another genre I could use in my persuading would be equality and opportunism. Even though this might not be the way people usually use this genre I believe I could once again fight for the unborn child and it's opportunities.

6 comments:

  1. Alright so I guess I misunderstood what genres were so here is my new idea. I think that people could be persuaded through things such as pamphlets you'd find in a hospital waiting room, through the newspaper, and also magazines for women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since most of the people who are for abortion do not have many morals in the first place an argument of "its wrong" will not be the strongest for that demographic. If you used more temporal based consequences or if you made your argument directed toward those that are borderline you would probably have more success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a little silly to say that those who are for abortion "do not have many morals". If you don't view a fetus as a human being with civil rights, then abortion is a medical procedure like any other. The question is whether or not it's a fully developed person, which, particularly in the beginning of gestation, is hard to prove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I oppose abortion, of course; it's just difficult to be an effective communicator if you really believe the people you need to persuade are just evil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although it is true some people who want abortions may not have many morals and just want to get out of their consequences, I think that it is too judgemental to group all people who support abortions that way. A lot of them see it as the women's right and so would argue the women's value. Of course I still think it's wrong, but I could see why some people do not think it is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I did want to say Troy that I think you make a very good point with how I can persuade people with the temporal consequences and focus on those who are borderline. Thanks for the advice!
    I think that Kevin also made a really good point. A lot of people don't see it as a human being yet so I will really need to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete