Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Akbar Risuddin


I don't know if this is just me, but I actually found some humor in this picture. Pictured here are two babies born in Indonesia, one of average weight (left), and one a staggering 19.2 lbs (right). The photo itself accompanied the news story from the Associated Press.

It's not the fact that the 19.2 lb baby (named Akbar) is of an unusual weight that is humorous - his size only makes him seem more adorable to me. It's the way the other baby is gazing at him that prompted my laughter. Despite being only just born, the smaller baby already seems to be struck by the notion that something not quite normal is transpiring; his tiny face shows hints of puzzlement and curiosity. It's the assumed idea that this little baby is already experiencing a moment which defies his marginal logic that brings some unintentional humor to this picture. Also, his confused little face is just priceless.

6 comments:

  1. That babies poor mother! At least he wont be picked on when he get older. I love it how the small and fragile one is content but the big and strong one is crying. you'd think it would be the other way around. and on top of that just think of the lung capacity he's got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Troy- That's also a funny contrast! Also, luckily, the news story also confirmed that both the mother and child are healthy. The father only expressed concern that he would need to buy much more milk than for the average baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Thank you, THANK YOU, Troy, for making the comment "that babies poor mother." I'm just so satisfied that a boy made that reference first. So pleased. If you hadn't said it, I would have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually... this picture kind of disturbs me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia- Haha, this is why I said "I don't know if this is just me". I know that I have a very unconventional sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete