Monday, February 8, 2010

Tone

Tone: the way that word choice, denotation and connotation, and imagery work together to give a work a specific feeling, mood, or “sound”

Online example: "So here you have Barack Obama going in and spending the money on embryonic stem cell research. ... Eugenics. In case you don't know what Eugenics led us to: the Final Solution. A master race! A perfect person. ... The stuff that we are facing is absolutely frightening." Glenn Beck (even though I think he is slightly nuts, his gives a perfect example of what negative/crazy tone can do to your argument)

My example: I hate the dim-witted choices that many drivers make. They act like imbeciles as they cut ahead of me in traffic and do not acknowledge the fact that I exist. The deepest circle of Hades is reserved for people who cut me off.

1 comment:

  1. "The deepest circle of Hades is reserved for people who cut me off." - Aaron
    My favorite line. It actually reminds me of something... Pirates of the Caribbean?

    ReplyDelete