Saturday, February 27, 2010

Internet

Topic: Internet addictions

Bad Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_addiction

Oh the joys of Wikipedia. It can be a great place to get some background information and lead you to some good websites to further your research. But it is really not reliable in the least bit. If you have a Wiki account you can add/alter/change/delete anything on almost any Wiki page. Some of the information on those pages can be straight up lies or misleading in any way. It is just better not to rely solely on Wikipedia.

Good Source:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/apr00/addiction.aspx

I find this website to be a reliable one. The copywrite is 2010, which means it is being updated reguraly. It is supported by the American Psychology Association. There is a given address in Washington DC and a phone number to contact the Association. The only advertisements that there are, are the ones that are supporting psychological disorder research. Overall, I think it is a website that can be reliable because of the contact information that is given and becuase of how well kept the website is.

3 comments:

  1. Your discussion of Wikipedia made me laugh. It's indeed untrustworthy - I actually know of someone personally who puts false information up occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wikipedia isn't reliable because people do change things purposefully so that it is wrong. I wish it was reliable though because the idea of a conglomerate of everyone's knowledge in one place is a nice idea, just wish people wouldn't be dumb and put false stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Amanda, the idea behind wikipedia is fantastic, the execution...eh, not so much. I have to admit, I have been one of those "dumb" people who changed/added some information to wikipedia. I just wanted to see how long I could stay on the list of famous Mormon athletes okay?! Ah, the follies of youth.

    ReplyDelete