Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I'll be devoting hours to one of these.....

Topics
  1. The main topic that I was thinking of writing about is suicide connected with the internet. I do not know what all is true, but I have heard some pretty interesting things about this. If research backs it up I am going to write about how the internet is increasing suicide rates. I don't know if that is true yet, but I am willing to bet it is.
  2. It would be interesting to also write about the church and how it is using the internet and new media to its benefit. I'm not sure what I would argue yet, maybe just that it has been of good use to the church in some specific ways.
  3. I think it would also be interesting to research internet addiction. Things like people basically living life virtually and wasting time on role playing sites and such. I do think new media is great in many ways, yet for this one I would argue how using the internet in excess (well like anything really) is doing a lot of damage.

8 comments:

  1. I think you can really put number 3 into a spiritual context. Have you read this talk by Elder Bednar? http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,538-1-4830-1,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Today I raise an apostolic voice of warning about the potentially stifling, suffocating, suppressing, and constraining impact of some kinds of cyberspace interactions and experiences upon our souls...."

    It's a great talk. Make sure to read it. EVERYONE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your title :)

    Probably because I know it is true for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah that was actually one of the things that made me think of this. It is such a sad topic, but it is such an issue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Whatever it is I better enjoy it since we'll be super tight these next few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I came up with the idea for virtual realities and interent addictions, I had gotten the idea from Elder Bednar's talk. If one of the Brethern has to address the issue then that must mean it is a really big problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that article jake! anybody writing about the cyberinteractions should read it. actually everyone should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Jake about Elder Bednar's talk. It was fantastic and everyone should read it! When I heard it last...erm fall? I thought it was interesting that he would speak so forcefully about this topic, but it really is a huge issue that we are constantly confronted with today.

    ReplyDelete