Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"When the Bough Breaks"

Good 'ole Deseret Books (it is online, crazy I know). Thank goodness they offer the service for people like me, who have no life, to write book reviews about books they have read (who would have thought! poeple writing book reviews for books they have read!) because otherwise I would have been at lost for finding some online analysis for something. I am horribly online-illiterate and have a horrible time finding anything half decent on the great World Wide Web.

But to the issue at hand. I decided to find a book review about one of my favorite LDS authors, Kay Lynn Mangum. After shifting through many reviews for three of her books, that are being sold via the great thing called the internet, I found an acceptable review on the "When the Bough Breaks" by Nani Lii.

Most of the readers' reviews were those that gloried in Mangum's amazing story telling abilities, and how realistic the book was, and how it changed their lives, and how it made them cry, and so on, and so on. I have read the book myself and found it to be an inspiring story, but hearing people ramble on and on about it irritates me to no end. It was a great refreshment when I saw Lii's review. For once someone had the guts to critize the book! It made me happy, to say the least.

I like reading a great book, but I also enjoy it when a person has the courage against all the praises to say that there is something wrong with it. When everyone is all in agreement about something it is often hard to see another point of view and this is what Lii was able to break that. She helped me to see a flaw in Mangum's story that I, myself, should have noticed. It was a bit of a blaring flaw that was just screaming to be noticed, and somehow in the middle of my little advanture in reading the book, I overlooked it.

Now on to the actual assignment:

1) What is being analyzed?

"When the Bough Breaks" by Kay Lynn Mangum. And Mangum's inability to realistically portray a woman exiting a severe case of depression.

2)Why is it being analyzed?

This reader felt that Mangum was being horribly unrealistic about how this widow was literally "pulled out of" depression by falling in love with her soon to be second husband. Lii, explained that people don't just magically come out of severe cases of depression in a short amount of time becuase they fell in love again. Lii, wanted other readers to be aware that this book is not as realistic as it may appear. It is more of a extreme case scenerio story.

3)What insights does the analysis offere beyond that of the original text?

It offers a point of view that many other reviewers have over looked. It goes beyond the praises that are sung about Mangum's book and points out the unrealistic side of the story. Getting out of depression as severe, as the one portrayed, that quickly is not realistic.


In my own life I know this to be a true statement. I have seen people lose a spouse and become horribly depressed. It took them a long time to overcome their loss, even with the help of the gosple. Overcoming depression, for whatever reason, is a hard thing to accomplish and it can sometimes take years before a person is fully well agian.

I am thankful that Nani Lii brought this issue to light. I still believe that the story that Kay Lynn Mangum wrote was inspiring on many levels (and I still thoroughly enjoy the book), but now I can understand that it isn't as realistic as I once believed it to be. In the middle of enjoying the book I overlooked that key flaw (a mistake, I think that many people make). Lii's review made me recognize my lack of critical reading (that was a nice little wake up call; I missed something that I should have recognized becuase of my experience with the subject) and now hopefully I won't make that same mistake again.

Link to Nani Lii's review:
http://deseretbook.com/item/4988539/When_the_Bough_Breaks
Note: it is one of the last reviews among all the others, and it is titled "A more realistic treatment of depression is needed"

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for choosing to spotlight my novel, "When the Bough Breaks," on your website! I remember the review you pointed out here when it appeared on Deseret's website. You may be interested to know my novel was inspired by real life events, including the mother's situation and reaction to her husband's death -- which is why I chose to have her plot line go the way it did! As they say, truth is stranger than fiction!

    Although you may find people who "ramble on and on" about how much they enjoy a book to be irritating, as an author, it's helpful to know your books are being enjoyed. Reviews like yours are helpful, too -- they certainly help me to improve as a writer, so I appreciate your honest thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stand corrected. I apologize if I appeared rude towards you or your writing. I can be horribly blunt and sarcastic. Something that I should change. That and this blog is for a college assignment and sometimes I forget that other people outside of my class can read this. I should be more careful with what I post.

    I understand how as an author you like to see your books be apperciated and enjoyed. I would want the same thing for my own writing.

    I must agree with you; truth sometimes does end up stranger than fiction. I apologize for being so critical for your chose for a plot and character, I did not know the background behind the book or your own experiences with the subject matter.

    Thank you for responding to my blog post. I never would have thought an author would respond to a random blog post such as this one. I am thankful that you responded and corrected me on my faults.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is interesting to me to see how we can totally disagree with what an author is saying (or at least disagree on parts) but yet still gain insight on the topic and learn. That is the power that literature has for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it really interesting how my author actually responded to my blog. I am currently in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you wish upon a star?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No actually, which makes this all that more special/interesting/amazing/unique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is only awkward if you make it awkward. I chose not to make it awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ty. I apperciate your support.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hah! Interesting. I really wanna read this book now.

    ReplyDelete