Wednesday, February 10, 2010

September 11th

I choose this photograph, taken by Thomas E. Franklin, because of the emotional impact it had on Americans. To me it is a very visually stimulating image. The bright colors of the flag contrast heavily with the dominant grays. While not totally covered in gray, the firemen are a part of that visual contrast.

Franklin capitalized on the juxtaposition of the simply majesty of the American flag against the carnage of the fallen wreckage behind the three fire fighters. The fact that the flag pole is partially fallen adds to the effect. The image of the firemen is symbolically saying, "Yes, we have just experienced a tragedy. Yes, America has been brought to it's knees. But we are going to get up." While it may not be seen today, this picture represents the optimism that Americans are traditionally characterized as having.

This photo is similar to another very well known photograph: the US Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima.
I think one of the main reasons that both of these images have become so powerful is because they represent the solidarity of America to many people. Both photographs create an emotional response within people as they consider the meaning behind the image.

4 comments:

  1. When I fist saw the 9-11 photo I have immediately thought of the one from Iwo Jima. In both situations there was a great tradgey and many people died. But the over powering theme seems to be "rise above this."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of doing these pictures too. When I think of pictures that evoke strong emotions, I think of these two. The picture of September 11th brings me right back to that day and all the emotions I felt. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I did not notice some of those things and I think you made some awesome comments! These pictures really do say a lot and I love the contrast in the first one. At first I did not notice the building in the back because I was so focused on the foreground. When I saw it it really added so much even though I already knew the photo was from September 11th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting these pictures... I feel these are perfect pictures to draw emotion from me! and Thanks for your insights and comments, they added even more to the meaning of the picture! United We Stand!

    ReplyDelete