Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Princess and the Frog

http://www.madaboutmovies.org/

The writer is analyzing Disney's newest animated film, The Princess and the Frog. He remarks that although it's style of hand-drawn cartoons may be ancient, it follows the patented method that always works. He analyzes it because he thinks it is a good movie for both the young and old. It follows Disney's first black princess and it encompasses a lot New Orleans and American culture. The writer is witty and charming in his style, something that makes him seem credible or knowledgeable about writing critics. This is his ethos. The language he uses may not invoke sadness or jerk on my emotions, but it makes me want to see the movie. So while it may not be a strong example of pathos, it still makes me excited enough to see it.

6 comments:

  1. Have you seen it, Mikhaela? It's sooo cute! The review was right. It is charming, classic, and for all ages. However, (not to give anything away) the main bad guy is a witch doctor who is super scary and all into voodoo and evil spirits. He sings an entire song about "his friends on the other side," which I don't think I want my young children to see. Future young children, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I haven't seen it yet. The review just made it seem like this movie that I have missed out on because it is soo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you have to watch it! It's adorable, and has that "old-school" vibe that Disney has been lacking for some time. I think it's good that the review didn't use too much pathos, because the movie itself relies on pathos heavily. If the reviewer had referred to emotional aspects too much, elements of the movie might have been spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The review was spot on. I loved that movie, and the review was so good it made me want to go see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to go watch it then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a weird feeling about this movie. All the techniques were used not because they were artistic or original, but because they were demanded: black princess, musical-style songs, old animation. It didn't feel as sincere as the classic 90's Disney films.

    ReplyDelete