Thursday, February 4, 2010

Anna Karenina

I decided to find book reviews on one of my favorite literary works, "Anna Karenina" by Leo Tolstoy. In this case, Tolstoy's work is merely being discussed on a thread that members of the Shelfari community can post. The people commenting on this discussion thread are commenting in the hope that, somehow, their opinions or views on the book may help other people decide whether they should read the book.
In my opinion the analyses given by the general public help the audience (the readers of the thread to understand some of the plot, the characters, and the inter-book relationships better than the book summary alone. These people who decided to comment on the thread seem to not only desire others to read the book that they read, but they want others to understand more than they initially did about the book.

4 comments:

  1. Book summaries are good, but I think it is also great to see the comments of others. Through a thread people can probably get a better feel for if they want to read a book by the type of people who have enjoyed it and took the time to write about it. It makes it a lot more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that though the summary informs you of the content of the book, it's the commentary that lets you know about the quality of the book. And is therefore more informative when trying to decide f you should read it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially love on this website how people are well read. They make connections that I would never make normally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually like to read the book first... getting my own connection and then going to websites like this to find others connections and meaning they have found... I find analysis like these to be very helpful!

    ReplyDelete