Sunday, February 7, 2010

Personification

Personification - the act of giving a non-human animal or object humanistic qualities. This can be done for a variety of purposes, ranging from humor to satire. It can also be used as a horror element when the event descends into the Uncanny Valley.

Example 1: The brick sat pedantically on the table, seemingly comatose to the world.

Example 2: A video of animals performing human-like actions or behaving in a human-like manner. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfC_u7jjRkE)

8 comments:

  1. I love the vocabulary you used in your first example! It's fun to learn new words and try to incorporate them into your conversations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who personify their pets and babies scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't get the image of a comatose brick out of my head now. It's just lying there in my mind with all kinds of medical equipment surrounding it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm with jake. but when i think of that it reminds me of the E-Trade commercials. but the question is, is it considered personification when your using a baby? i mean that really doesn't fit the conditions of being non-human now does it? if not what would you call it? person-personification?

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, "pedantic" means officious or overly concerned with detail, like those obnoxious nerds who are always correcting people's grammar and usage. Like this comment, for example, this is pedantic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaron - that made me laugh! Now that's personification!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kevin - ughh, I hate it when this happens haha. Thanks for correcting me - I have a bad habit of using a word based on its connotation without actually double-checking to make sure it fits in the context of what I'm writing about. Gotta work on that!

    ReplyDelete