Monday, February 1, 2010

Just Another Day In Paradise

A song that I have always enjoyed is "Just Another Day In Paradise" by Phil Vassar. I like this song because of the way it gives hope with its optimism of "looking at the glass half full". In Vassar's lyrics he reaches out perfectly to those that are married as his audience, seeing how its about being a father of a family. But also for me as a child and up till now in my life, he has been able to reach me because his way of using things that happen to every family which I could relate to, while at the same time not sounding like he is over exaggerating his life... its real sounding. This song defiantly implements pathos, as you can feel the emotion of love and pure joy this man really has for his family, despite all the possible worries and concerns of supporting a family he remains optimistic and happy. He Illustrates this contrast in our minds by stating all the things that "go wrong" and yet to him, he finds beauty in it all simply because of his family.

I like how in the beginning of the song as he sings of the things that are going wrong, the music plays softer, almost giving a content and still peaceful feeling. Which almost might take you back at first because you listen thinking, "And your happy sounding why?" then as it comes to the chorus and he helps you understand that question you have as music crescendos's a little and you are able to feel more of the ethos in his lyrics. This song makes me smile.

4 comments:

  1. I will go on record here and state that I am a country music fanatic. There. it is now on the internet for all to see.

    With that being said, I really enjoy this song for it's ability to connect with the listener, as you pointed out. For me it grabs and me and helps me to see myself in the same position and realize that although life isn't perfect, it can be paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song, when I hear it I can't help but smile and imagine my future family. He really does a good job of bringing you into the song and story within. I too love country music and not afraid to admit it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love this song! It just makes me thinkg how things are going to happen in life, but it just depends on how you look at the situation. Your attitude can change everything. I love how this song portrays that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely is all about your attitude and the way you choose to view things... My mission President once told me that no one can make me unhappy, only we can choose to be unhappy. So I guess deep down this song really shows the great principle of agency.

    (I also like country obviously)

    ReplyDelete