Monday, February 1, 2010

Stand

The song I chose is Stand by Rascal Flatts. This song is about how we have trials, life is hard. But in the end we can and will make it, and each of these hardships make us who we are. The purpose of this song is to inspire people, to help people not give up but to keep going. They wrote this song for everyone, no one's life is perfect and so everyone can relate to it. They also appeal to Pathos. We all know what they are talking about because it is about our average life. Rascal Flatts also uses the word "you" throughout the whole thing. Its a song for and about us, its not about them but about "you." I like they way they use you because it makes me feel like it is closer to me and not so distant. By chosing that word it makes me think about the lyrics alot more and about how I need to keep going. That wouldn't have happened as much had they used "I" because then it would have been their story, their problem, not mine. They use a lot of similes which for me just has and makes more meaning to the song. For examle, they say "you feel like a candle in a hurricane." Instead of saying "life is rough," they use wording that makes the individual think more.
The song starts off pretty quite, when it is talking about how life is hard. But then it gets louder till the chorus making you feel like you will make it, its ok. Then the chorus goes back to the starting volume and again works up. Although its not like a complete contrast in the sound there is some. So there is meaning in that because its how you are feeling, down and quite then you get to the chorus when you feel good and like you can do it.

6 comments:

  1. I like how you describe the music here and the effect that it has on the meaning of the song. I think you hit the nail on the head. The path that the song takes describes my attitude towards trials in life. First as my stress or doubt is dominant nothing really happens. But as my confidence builds I can hear my personal orchestra playing my theme song in the background (Chariots of Fire, Call of the Champion, Eye of the Tiger, take your pick) and it is very motivating. Then once all the excitement is over, I'm left with that quiet, calm assurance that I can accomplish my task. Great song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on analyzing this song! I really like how you looked at the dynamics of the music instead of just the lyrics. Also that is a good point about how they use "you" in the song-nice observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This song is really fantastic. I never really noticed how they put the listener in the song by using the word "you". Thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaron, I totally agree with you on how the song's path descibes your attitude, because thats how I feel also. But I really didn't notice it till now, when I was trying to really put it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenni, same as you I didn't really notice how they used "you" till now. But I started thinking about the different words they could have used and if it would have had the same meaning as it would had they not used "you".

    ReplyDelete